Another Update from a LONG Week

Saturday, December 14, 2013

We have had so many ups and downs this week with our girl Crawal. One minute she is improving and we have hope and the next minute it's bad news again.
Thursday - This day we went to the vet's right after work to pick her up. She seemed okay, a little drooly, which the vet had advised was somewhat normal and could be caused by nausea. She had been fed twice after having the feeding tube put in and kept it down. We were shown how to do it, how to give her medications, what to watch for, etc.
I was so happy to take her home! We made up a brand new bed for her in an old low profile laundry basket and a huge fleece blanket. She curled up and went right to sleep for about 3 hours. We figured she was completely exhausted and were happy to see her resting after all she's been through. Suddenly, she jumped up and went to the bottom of the stairs, looking up and I just thought to myself - This won't be good because she was still so wobbly. (I had made a small litterbox just for her and had it downstairs a few feet from her basket, but their normal litterbox is upstairs). What does she do? Trots all the way up 2 flights of stairs, with my help twice, and went into her normal litterbox. I was impressed and thought she was on a road to recovery. Later that night, at about 9pm, we gave her the recommended amount of water through her feeding tube (we were instructed to give her a night off from the food, in the hopes that would help her nausea) and about an hour later, I took her up to bed with me because Barry was at work all night. She wouldn't settle down, and then suddenly she started getting sick and gagging and drooling. It was one of the longest nights of my life and I did not get a wink of sleep. I sat with her, held her, tried to calm her down, but nothing worked.. except for 30 minutes throughout the entire night where she actually nodded off in my arms, but that didn't last long until she was back up and vomiting again. I called Barry at work in a panic, I was so worried she was going to bring up the tube (which is a possibility and would be an emergency). I almost called the emergency after hours vet clinic several times, but by about 6am we just waited until our normal vet's office opened at 7:30am.

Friday - We went right to the vet's when they opened at 7:30 and they took her in and hooked her back up to IV fluids. They did another blood test and while some of her levels had worsened some had improved. She was still drooling, but she wasn't gagging or getting sick when they fed her. I was, once again optimistic. They noticed in the blood test that her potassium levels were very low, and added that to her IV fluids as it could be the reason why she can't absorb food after not eating for so long. They kept her over night and monitored her again.

Saturday - This morning the vet called with bad news. Her liver levels are worsening and she now has jaundice - yellowing of the eyes, ears and gums. She mentioned again that we have 2 options - to keep her over the weekend and try her on different antibiotics or to euthanize her. Barry and I discussed it and I came to the conclusion that I needed to see her for myself, and then I'd know the right decision. We went right over this morning to see her and she seemed to perk up a bit while we were there, she even used the litterbox in the cage, and continuously purred. I hate seeing her like this, and the vet said she is not optimistic but you never know and I can't not to whatever we can for her. We told them to keep her over the weekend, and if there is no improvement by Monday, we will, sadly, be left with no other options. I don't want her to suffer and we will know at that point that we've truly done everything we can for her.

As it stands right now, our vet bills have totaled over $2500 and whether she makes it through and continues on her medications or doesn't and needs to be put to sleep, we will probably reach over $3000 in the next few days. This is a lot of money right before Christmas time, but I couldn't say no if there was even a chance she could be saved.
It has been a very long and stressful week, for us and for her, and I am just hoping for the best right now and praying that she pulls through. I apologize for my lack of blogging this week, but honestly, my mind isn't anywhere else but on my baby girl.


  1. I'm so sorry about your poor little girl - I totally understand how blogging has probably been the last thing on your mind! When my Dog had a stroke I remember having to go through the same thing, and it sucks. I really really hope she pulls through for you!

  2. My heart goes out to you and I continue to hope that she drastically improves. I lost my childhood pet this past week and it was very difficult, so I can sympathize with what you're going through.

  3. Thoughts are with you. There are no words adequate enough, so I will leave it with that.

  4. My heart goes out to you hun. and I pray all goes well and she pulls thru.

  5. Been there, done it and got the degree - several times over the years. It doesn't get easier, but remember the good times if the worst does happen. Remember it's the privilege of pet ownership to be able to release them from pain or discomfort: alas, something not available when a similar situation faces us humans (although I hasten to add, I am not in favour of taking one's life). You and your husband are in my prayers.

  6. I am so sorry you're going through this Tara. I hope your beautiful baby improves, I'm thinking of her and you <3

  7. As the days o by without an update my heart breaks a little more for u. Sorry you are going through this and know that we are all out here thinking about you



Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger