The Question of Fostering

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Fostering animals, that is.

It is something I have been thinking about the past few weeks, since Crawaly passed away. You see, that cat was my baby, but she didn't like change. And we knew that, which is why we haven't gotten a dog yet, we always thought we would wait until we had a house with a fenced in back yard. But then we waited because we didn't want to upset Crawaly. It has been heartbreaking since she passed, and while I have been hugging Cleatus every night, it pains me to see how lonely she is without her sister around.

We considered getting a breed of dog recently that we always wanted - a Bernese Mountain Dog but honestly? After everything we went through with Crawaly; the financial and emotional aspects of it all, we just aren't sure we are ready.


Which has brought me to another thought - we could become a foster home for a local shelter or rescue group! It would be amazing to be able to give an animal in need a temporary home full of warmth, love and food. I would know from the start to not get attached and I would be so happy to see a dog we helped find a forever home.

Now, the only thing that is holding us back is Cleatus. While we can tell she is lonely and depressed, I don't want to disrupt her even more by bringing a dog into our lives, even temporarily, that might not get along with her. While I know only suitable dogs will be placed with us, it is still troublesome.

It's a thought, and one that we're thinking about, but for now, we might just put in on the back burner for a few months to let our lives settle down a bit and then revisit the idea. Have any of you taken in a foster dog? And if so, what was your experience like? Would you do it again?
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. My husband and I fostered dogs here and now but its so hard- i get attached so easily. but when we actually get a dog we always go through a breeder- it's just different for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never fostered dogs but I'm so glad people do - someone fostered Hawkeye, and if they hadn't she would have probably gone cage crazy because she was there for a very, very long time. And it's so sad when that happens. I think fostering is a wonderful thing, but I do think you're still reeling from your loss (I would be too!) so maybe you and Cleatus need a little more time to heal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think fostering a dog would be great! i'd love to do it someday when i'm home more. our dogs now don't mind being home alone all day but I think it would be a weird adjustment for a random dog. keep giving it a thought and just do it if/when you guys are ready!
    -- jackie @ jade and oak

    ReplyDelete
  4. My aunt has three of these dogs and they are beautiful. I think fostering is the perfect avenue to try, our youngest sons GF and her family are now fostering, they lost their loved pet very unexpectedly as well and this is a way of ensuring that an animal that needs love is taken care of without you committing yet.

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger